Nora Yasumura holds a Masters in Social Work (MSW) degree from New York University with a professional background in cultural & racial identity exploration, community organizing, adaptive & inclusive leadership, as well as human behavior & counseling.
As a multiracial woman, she has been inspired to build cross-group coalitions, expand cultural competency, & affirm intersections of identity. Her passion for facilitating productive discussions on sensitive topics related to race, culture, sexuality, gender identity, ability, & socioeconomic class is evident from the moment you meet her.
Workshops & Consulting
- Facilitated hundreds of educational workshops, keynote addresses, & trainings on complex issues related to social identity, inclusion, & equity.
- Worked with such institutions as Wellesley College, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Tufts University, New York University, Smith College, Dartmouth College, Bennington College, Boston College, The Hotchkiss School, Kimball Union Academy, Berkshire School, IvyLeader, NAAAP, Iora Health, & New Sector Alliance.
- Worked as an Assistant Dean of Student Life & Advisor to Asian/Asian American Students at Dartmouth College for over 12 years.
- Under Nora's leadership, Dartmouth was named one of the best colleges and universities for Asian Pacific Americans.
- Founded several innovative collegiate level resources such as the Diversity Peer Leadership Program (DPP), the First Generation College Student Network, the Inter-Community Council, & The Pan Asian Wellness Initiative.
- Has served as a part-time additional reader for the Dartmouth College Admissions Office.
- Over 20 years of experience living in the independent boarding school environment. Currently lives at The Hotchkiss School.
- Served as a Class Dean and Director of Student Clubs & Affinity Groups at The Hotchkiss School.
- Taught Life Skills at the Indian Mountain School (K-9th grade).
- Worked as the founding director of the Global Community Initiative (GCI) at the Cardigan Mountain School (6 - 9th grade).
- Served as one of the coordinators of the Asian American Footsteps Conference (AAFC).
- Serves as the Healing Circle for Change Coordinator for Tsuru for Solidarity.
- Serves as a Collaborating Faculty member for the MGH Center for Cross-Cultural for Emotional Wellness.
- Serves as a Mindfulness Certified Instructor (from Mindful Schools).